Meet Natalie Shribman

Here at the Center we are eagerly awaiting the arrival of our 2018 Rabbinical Student Fellows. They will be spending extended time learning and working in our Maine Jewish communities. In anticipation of our work together, we asked Natalie some questions about herself to help you get to know her a little better.
Natalie Shribman

Where are you coming from, where is your hometown and what school are you studying at?
I am a resident of Cincinnati. However, my house is in Norwood, which is a cute town with its own parade every summer! My hometown is Pittsburgh, PA—I lived in Squirrel Hill, a large Jewish neighborhood. I was born in Washington, DC, and lived there for 10 years before my family moved to Pitt. I am currently studying at Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion in Cincinnati.

What parsha did you study for your bar/bat mitzvah?
My Bat Mitzvah parsha was Sh’lach. Fun fact, I became Bat Mitzvah when I was 15 and on a Friday evening.

What is your favorite Jewish holiday according to food eaten on that holiday?
My favorite Jewish holiday is Hanukkah. I love making different kinds of latkes, such as asparagus and spinach latkes. I am celiac, so it’s fun to explore the recipes and outcomes of using non-flour recipes. I like to put both ketchup and applesauce on my latkes. When I was living in Israel, I found a gluten-free sufganiyah and it was truly amazing. When it’s not Hanukkah, I often snack on gelt wishing it were Hanukkah.

What Maine Jewish community will you be serving as a fellow?
I will be working at Temple Beth El in Augusta, Maine, with Rabbi Erica Asch. 

What are you most looking forward to during your fellowship in Maine?
I have spent countless months in Maine at all different ages—as both a little girl and as a college student, and I am excited to return after a four-year hiatus. My visits to Maine were all different—from traversing the Marginal Way in Ogunquit, to eating ice cream at Scoop Deck in Wells, to climbing Mt. Katahdin and running at Pineland Farms as a Bates student, I have seen a lot of Maine. However, I have not spent much time in Augusta or in a Jewish community in Maine, so I am excited to see a different community and part of Maine.

Welcome Natalie! Stay up to date on Natalie’s work in Maine and opportunities to learn with her on Temple Beth El in Augusta’s website: http://bethelaugusta.org