Meet Jonathan Posner

Jonathan Posner

Here at the Center we are eagerly awaiting the arrival of our 2018 Rabbinical Student Fellows. They will be spending extended time learning and working in our Maine Jewish communities. In anticipation of our work together, we asked Jonathan some questions about himself to help you get to know him a little better.

Where are you coming from, where is your hometown and what school are you studying at?
I’m coming from Chicago, Illinois, and I will be a third-year rabbinical student at JTS in Manhattan.

What parsha did you study for your bar/bat mitzvah?
Schlacht-Lkhah: the story of the 12 spies entering Eretz Yisrael for the first time. 

What is your favorite Jewish holiday according to food eaten on that holiday? 
I said Pesach for a long time, but Sukkot has been grabbing my attention for a while now—more of a bountiful fall harvest here in the States that begs to be eaten under the stars! 

What Maine Jewish community will you be serving as a fellow?
Working primarily with the Waterville Jewish community and with the new Jewish Food Network housed at the CSTJL. 

What are you most looking forward to during your fellowship in Maine?
Spending time in a very new (I’ve only been to Maine once!) and beautiful state where Jews of all stripes build vibrant Judaism that’s tailored so well to their landscape. 

Welcome Jonathan! Stay up to date on Jonathan’s work in Maine and opportunities to learn with him on Beth Israel in Waterville’s website: https://www.bethisraelwaterville.org